Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Easy Peasy Supper

For years I have heard people talk about Fish Tacos and thought "ugh that sounds yuck." One day on a whim I tried a fish taco at Gezzos Surf & Grille. The young guy that runs the place told me to try it Californian style so I asked him to have at it and make it like he would make his own. Since then my husband has tried them and we both love them!

Fast forward and I decide to get a little more creative with our meals at home. They all seem bland and boring so I decided to try my hand at making my own fish tacos.

I start with a bag of Aldi's frozen Tilapia and some Dale's marinade.

Thaw the fish and marinate. Yesterday it was only for an hour because I got a late start on things. FYI, fish thaws very quickly so this is also a good meal for me when I haven't thought about things ahead of time!

We throw our fish on the Big Green Egg that I found at a yard sale but you can wrap in aluminum foil and put on the grill until flakey.

After that we grab a soft tortilla and throw on our fixings...

For us the fixings include:
Black beans
Sliced cabbage
Sliced black olives
Shredded cheese
Spicy ranch dressing (we prefer this but if I don't have it we use regular ranch or sour cream)

Please note that my husband and daughter would not touch cabbage with a 10' pole but Christina mentioned that they use cabbage on things like this where the lettuce would wilt. Amazingly enough, they now eat the cabbage! It is crunchier than the lettuce would be and it tastes great.

~Victoria~

9 comments:

Christina said...

Now I want tacos for supper!! Probably won't be fish because I browned some ground beef yesterday. I do have a bag of frozen tilapia in the freezer though for next time. Mmmmm!

Easy suppers are the best. You know that I am a five ingredients or less kind of girl.

Amelia said...

You are slowing convincing me this combination would taste good. I love fried fish - and tacos....however, the sound of the two together does not make my taste buds tingle. Nevertheless, I may have to try it some time...what other kind of fish would you recommend?

Have a great weekend - fall is close, yay!

Lynn said...

I have tried fish tacos a few times--and--even tried lobster tacos.
No.
It's just wrong.

I'll just have to stick to beef and tastes like chicken!

Christina said...

Oh and I meant to add that I love a squeeze of lime on mine. I didn't think fish tacos sounded great when I first started hearing about them either, but they are oh so yummy. I think I love ALL tacos. Well, maybe if you put tofu in it...I might pass.

I think my first fish taco ever was from
http://www.taqueriadelsol.com/dinner.htm

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Victoria,
Thank you for thinking of and praying for my mom. I am at the hospital with her tonight. We are hoping she can go home tomorrow. We have a tough road ahead and covet your prayers.
You're a sweetheart!
God bless you,
Traci

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Wow, these look and sound delicious. I just might break down and finally try a fish taco. I'm sure it's much healthier than Taco Bell. Thanks for taking the time to share this recipe.
M.L.

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

That sounds sooo good! I've never had a fish taco but I think I may try it!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can phrase that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is stationary a definitely as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with publication of this demand www.google.com/ie?as_q=babylon pro 7.0.3.8 ?
I noticed the axiom you have not used. Or you profit by the dark methods of helping of the resource. I have a week and do necheg

Bernard C said...

Great reading yourr blog post