Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Favorite Christmas Cookie


Berry sage thumbprints have become a must have on the cookie platter around our house. This is my husband's favorite Christmas cookie so I especially enjoy making them. The fresh lemon zest paired with sage, tart blackberry and the slight crunch of yellow cornmeal is delicious and refreshingly different.

Berry Sage Thumbprints

2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup yellow corn meal (not self-rising mix)
1 1/2 tsp. dried sage, crushed (mine is a powder)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup blackberry preserves (I use b. berry jelly because I don't like the seeds)

preheat oven to 350 degrees

combine flour, cornmeal, sage and baking powder. Set aside.

Beat butter for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and beat until combined, scraping sides occasionally. Beat in egg yolks, lemon peel, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour.

Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Lightly press the tip of your thumb into the center of each ball. Fill the centers with about 1/4 tsp. of the blackberry preserves. bake about 10 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool completely. Makes about 60.
From Better Homes and Garden's December 2001


Hope you enjoy. Maybe this will become a new favorite in your family too.

4 comments:

Noelle said...

I bake a lot of cookies at this time of the year, I will have to try these, they sound really good!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try these! We bake thumbprint cookies every year and use apricot jelly but yours sounds good.

Manuela

Tammy said...

Thanks so much for stopping by. I always love when new people find my blog..These cookies sound wonderful I will have to try them out. Off to look at more of your blog..
tammy

Victoria said...

Yumo, I love these! :)