Hi to everyone on this Monday afternoon. Today we did a little bit more fall fluffing of the nest, but for some reason I just couldn't get good pictures. I tried and tried to take a picture of the top of our piano, but the lighting just wasn't working and I did have my short lens on, so it was difficult to get far enough away.
I did also want to thank all of you who sent birthday wishes to Ian last Friday. He really enjoyed reading your comments. Thanks so much!
So, onward to fall.
Oh, and in case anyone cares, the candy in the urn is Hershey's Candy Corn Kisses. About the only place I have consistently seen them is at Target. The other candy is licorice, which I detest. It came in a co-op shipment and I thought it would at least look good in my apothecary jar.
I have *not* tried this recipe, but it looks good and it shows you what the kisses look like inside. We will have to use Sun Butter instead of peanut butter because of severe peanut allergies.
KISSES Candy Corn Autumn Cookies
* 3/4 cup REESE'S Creamy Peanut Butter
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 1/3 cup granulated sugar
* 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
* 1 egg
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1-1/3 cups quick-cooking oats, divided
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 66 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Candy Corn Flavored Candies
1. Heat oven to 350°F Beat peanut butter and shortening in large bowl until well blended. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together 1/2 cup oats, flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in remaining oats; place on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten cookies with tines of fork to form a crisscross pattern.
3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
4. Remove wrappers from candies. Place 18 candies in heavy-duty resealable plastic food storage bag. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; knead bag and candies. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, kneading after each heating, until candies are melted and color is uniform. Cool slightly. Cut off corner of bag about 1/8 inch from point. Lightly drizzle cookies. Before drizzle sets, place candy piece in center of each cookie. About 4 dozen cookies.